Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Latest Information

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.  Psalms 139:14-18

Some people missed the post on what was going on with the pathology from the surgery, so I am reposting this.  I am also adding the details from my doctor visit on December 28.

There was much good news and some bad news in the pathology report. My main tumor measured 7cm, but was mostly DCIS, a non-invasive cancer. That was wonderful news! I do have several invasive tumors, but the largest is only 4mm. This takes my cancer back to stage 1! Wonderful News! The stage goes by the size of the largest invasive tumor. The lymph nodes they took were negative, this is GREAT news.  Radiation is not necessary at this point.

Now for the bad news: 
1.  The invasive tumor has invaded the lymph duct.
2.  The invasive tumor is a nuclear grade 3 - these tumors tend to grow rapidly and spread faster.
3.  My HER2 score is a +++.  Cancers with too many copies of the HER2 gene or too much HER2 protein tend to be more aggressive.
4.  My Ki-67 was 30% - High scores—greater than 20%—mean that the cancer cells are growing and dividing at a rapid pace.

December 21 they started me on Aromasin, which is a hormone inhibitor. After the 1st of the year, I will have a port placed in my chest for chemotherapy!  A big answer to prayer for me.  My veins are very small and even Mayo Clinic has a hard time with them.  I really felt a port was necessary and yesterday the doctor brought it up himself!  Praise the Lord! 

The first four treatments are AC (doxorubicin (adriamycin) and cyclophosphamide) - given every 3 weeks.  My first one will be on January 18.  It will stop after 4 treatments.

Then they will add Herceptin for the HER2.

At the same time they will do the next four chemo sessions which will be Taxol (or Taxotere).

Most of this will be outpatient. However, the doctor said that due to my nausea problem, he will probably admit me for a couple days each round to be sure I am ok. Also, they will be keeping an eye on the node near my collarbone and the small spot in my lung. Please continue to pray. Pray that the chemo attacks any little cancer cell lurking in my body.

Of course, I hope to be done in 6 months, but that will depend on my body and how it handles all of these drugs.  Maybe I will have hair by Christmas!!!

I am recovering well from the surgery, but have had some trouble from the aromasin.  Pray for the headaches.  I would really like to be at our New Years Eve service this year.  Last year I missed it and I really want to go this year.  It is one of my favorite services of the year.  Thank you for your prayers.

6 comments:

HOPE said...

My favorite service of the year too Kelly. All the testimonies of God's graces shown to so many people. What great encouragement it is as we approach each New Year.

My prayers are continually with you and I rejoice with you in those already answered!

God bless you! HUGS..
HOPE

noelann said...

Kelly,

Thank you for sharing so many details. Please know we are thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

Rich & Noel King
FBC Hammond

Nancy M. said...

Kelli,
It is so good to hear from you again.
Thank you for sharing your progress.
I will pray for the specifics and for you to be able to go to your
NY Eve Service...
It sounds like you have a plan and
have educated yourself about your
condition. Thats a great teaching for
me..
I am so excited that God has taken
you thus far and cared for you in
a great way...
Praying, Love, nancy

Paula Micheal said...

Kelly, wow! I thank you for sharing this again and the added information. We (I) am praying for you.

New Years Eve service is one of my favorite also. Praying you will be able to attend that service.

Love you,
Paula

Maranatha said...

Hi Mrs. Kelly,

Please know that the Plourdes are praying for you!! Adam is home on leave for Christmas and we are loving having him with us!

I have a website that I did for John when he found out about his cancer. It is: http://christianswithcancer.wordpress.com

I hope it can be a blessing to you! Please know that you are on our hearts!!

Kate Plourde

Tori said...

Hey Girlie, Haven't seen you around much lately. I hope you're okay and making if alright. Praying for you!