Monday, July 26, 2010

Prayer

Thank you to all of you for your prayers and notes during this difficult time.

This week has been a real roller coaster ride.  My father had a stroke last Saturday, July 17.  Randy and I flew to Minnesota on Monday, July 19.  Everyday brings new challenges for my father.  Currently there is much brain swelling still going on.  They thought it had stopped last Wednesday, but it has grown.  His right brain is pushing into his left brain.  This causes him terrible headaches.  It is hard to see him suffer!  My Madrasta has been wonderful and is a strong woman whom I love very much.  I can only imagine how difficult it is to watch her husband suffer.  I know the Lord has a perfect plan in all of this.  I just can't see it now.  So, like the song says, "I Believe to See".  I know the Lord is good, whether I can see it or not. 

We have had some fun times with Dad.  The speech therapist was checking some of his cognitive thinking skills one day.  She asked him several  questions:

Is your name Smith.
"No".

Do you live in Milwaukee?
"No, No, No, Heaven's no!"

What's wrong with Milwaukee?
"Have you ever BEEN there?!"

Yes, for a week long conference.
"Did you stay?"

Yes
"WHY???!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry Milwaukee lovers!  We all got a kick out of this exchange!  I sat and watched Twins playing baseball on the TV with him and he was able to tell me all about each player that got up and he also told me what he thought about the manager's style of managing.  I won't share that on here.  I do thank God in Heaven for allowing me to have this time with my Dad.  It has been an honor and a privilege.  Keep praying.  We need this swelling to stop.

I love you Dad!!!

3 comments:

HOPE said...

So happy to know that your dad is communicating with you! PRAISE GOD for that...I had soo prayed you'd have quality talking time together.

Thinking of you EVERY day with much love and prayers..

YES..WE BELIEVE to SEE the GOODNESS of the LORD...

he knows.
Love and hugs
HOPE

Nancy M. said...

Hi Kelly,

I am so thankful you get to be with your dad and Madrasta. These are precious days and times together...

*if you have any time I happened to have a blank journal with me at the hospital with mom and wrote a few things that were a blessing to me in there. With so much going on each hour I would tend to forget...
Times can be like pictures in your mind...I laughed at the ballgame story. I just love that!
Take care my friend and know that I pray for you and that many others also are praying for you and your dad and family.
love, nancy

Nancy M. said...

Kelly,

I am thinking and praying for you and your family....
love, nancy