Saturday, December 11, 2010

I Am Blessed!!

O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalms 34:8



Before Surgery

Before Chemo


 
During chemo

Just after chemo with my father.





Randy after MY chemo!

November 2010

I Am Blessed - A Song
Each day that I live, He gives more than I need
And I could never describe His goodness to me
If you ask how I make day after day
There is only one thing I can say

It's been a long journey but I have been blessed
Walking with Jesus, I have no regrets
He is so good to me, and I must confess
The way has been long, but I'm blessed

All that I need I find at His feet 
When I'm hungry, He feeds me with manna so sweet
When my soul is weary, He sends peace and rest
And all I can say is I'm blessed

Now I've had my share of sunshine and rain
Days filled with laughter and nights filled with pain
But with every mile as I travel this way
The journey gets sweeter each day

It's been a long journey but I have been blessed
Walking with Jesus, I have no regrets
He is so good to me, and I must confess
The way has been long, but I'm blessed

I'M BLESSED
So much more than I ever deserve
I'M BLESSED
He's been faithfully keeping His word
I'M BLESSED
I've been cleansed by the hand of the Lord
I'm blessed, I'm blessed, I'm blessed

This last Monday, I visited with my friend Tereasa Harkness.  She has a brain tumor and is currently having radiation and chemo.  We were in a meeting on Sunday just one hour away from where she is staying near the hospital, so my husband drove me to spend part of the day with her.  I wanted to be an encouragment to her.  As usual in these cases, Tereasa was my encourager.  There were 3 other ladies visiting also from Lakeview Baptist Church (a very special group of people to us).  We had so much fun laughing at Joette, I mean WITH Joette!  I thought maybe we could sing for Tereasa.  We chose a few and then Tereasa asked the ladies to sing this song.  What a testimony this song is for so many of us that have been through trials.  Each lady in the room that day has had their own difficult journeys to travel.  Maybe that is why we were able to laugh so much together. 

As I sat down to write this post, the Lord immediately brought the song to my rememberance (something that is quite a miracle with this chemo brain of mine!)  One year ago today I started this journey of breast cancer.  On December 11, I was laying on the operating table in Okinawa (it was actually the 10th in America still, but for literary emphasis I will use the date on my surgery notes!)  I can honestly and without guile say, I have BEEN blessed!  I have hated the chemo and am not always the best sport, but I see so many great things that have come from this difficult journey through 2010!  Maybe someone is reading this and you are struggling with the Lord about the "journey" He has you on right now.  Don't give up or give in to that devil sitting on your shoulder telling you it is NOT worth it to continue!  Someone needs for you to keep going on your journey.  Don't be selfish with your trial.  God wants you to use it for HIS purpose.  Believe me, there have been times when I didn't really care about His purpose, but I kept going and kept doing what He asked of me.  He has NEVER failed me!  As He blessed Job with so much more after his trials, so He has blessed me with much more! 

There is a poem that my pastor, Dr. Jack Hyles (now in Heaven) use to quote:

THE BRIDGE BUILDER
An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm, vast and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim-
That sullen stream had no fears for him;
But he turned, when he reached the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting strength in building here.
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You never again must pass this way.
You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head.
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building the bridge for him."
-WILL ALLEN DROMGOOLE

Many times through my journey I have thought about Mrs. Marlene Evans, who is now in Heaven after a long journey with breast cancer.  She was a "bridge builder" for me!  I mean it, I believe that one of the reasons for the Lord's timing in my husband's college years, was so that I could watch Mrs. Evans as she took this journey.  She went to Heaven after we went to the mission field.  Many were the days I wanted to quit and thought, "I just can't do one more treatment, take one more pill, or be sick one more time!"  The Lord brought Mrs. Evans back to my mind.  She had built a bridge in the twilight of her life so that others could make that journey and not fall into the chasm.  What chasm is it that you face?  Who is it that will come behind you and need that bridge?  Take your journey, build  your bridge, and don't give up!

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

Kelly,
Thank you for showing (being a bridge builder) us that with Jesus
you made it through this journey...

Your a testimony of strength and beauty and His mercy...I remember a year ago when a friend of ours asked me to pray for you. Little did I know
what a blessing you would be to me personally and to others..
God bless you . love , nancy