Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!!




 

Happy Mother's Day!

The pictures above are of my mother!  She wasn't perfect, but one thing I knew for sure, my mom loved me!  Praise the Lord for a mom who loves her children!  Mom's birthday was April 24 and I decided to wait to honor her on my blog for Mother's Day.  One gift that my mom passed on to me was writing.  I am not near the writer that she is, but I so enjoy putting a good thought on paper!  Mother's Day was very special during the time that Christa was in college.  She always arrived home for summer break on Mother's Day!  I would pick her up on Sunday morning and we would fly, I mean drive to the church in time for the preaching!  One year I wrote the following little story.  Enjoy!!  Thank you mom for taking TV time away from us and sharing with us the joy of a good book!!  I love you and miss you more than I could ever express!  Thank God for Heaven!!

Mother’s Day 2007


While in college, I heard Mrs. Evans talk a lot about her red bird! That is when I started looking for something that I could look for so I would recognize that God loved me all the time. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the Lord used all kinds of birds to encourage me and show me He loved me. When we were in college, a beautiful male cardinal would eat at my bird feeder every morning. Oh how he loved sunflower seeds! When my feeder was out of them, he would squawk at me until I would add more. While living in the Azores the Lord used the beautiful wild canaries and the bird we nicknamed “the doodah” bird because of his song. I am from Minnesota and have always loved loons. They mate for life and have a beautiful peaceful song. Soon after our son died in September of 2003, we did some camping to have some time alone. Some good friends let us use their motor home. We camped all along Lake Michigan. One morning my daughter and I sat quietly together and watched two loons fishing near the shore. What a peaceful time that was for our family and I could feel the Lord’s love enveloping me.


Time has passed since our son went to Heaven and this Mother’s Day was particularly hard for me. I do not know why it stuck out or why this year was harder. Our daughter was due home that morning from college and I should have been so happy, but alas having one child close does not take away the loss of having one child gone. Early that morning I was sitting out on the balcony of my lovely home here in Japan. I had been praying and asking the Lord to give me strength for the day and a smile for the people in our little congregation. Many of them are far from home and missing their loved ones also. I heard a rustling in the trees just below my balcony. I also heard a bird chirping wildly on the electric line that hooks to our home. As I looked down into the trees, I could see movement in the limbs at the top of the tree. Looking through my hubby’s binoculars, I saw that there were several nests in the top of that tree. I watched as the bird on the wire would fly down, shake up the nest, fly back to her perch on the wire, and start her chirping again. This mother bird was teaching her babies to fly! Soon the babies flew out and down to the fence. Their mother flew a little further away until the little birdies followed.


After about 45 minutes, they were all gone and I knew the Lord had chosen that day to prompt that mother bird to teach her babies to fly just for me. He reminds me daily that He loves me through His word, but I am ever so grateful that He also uses the beauty of His creation to illustrate His love. That morning He showed me that teaching our children to fly and leave the nest is a necessary part of loving our children. Christa, I am thankful you get to come home to our nest. Eddie, someday we will enjoy the Father’s Nest together! I love you both!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Thank you for sharing your story! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow! I LOVE birds...when I see them or hear them I'm reminded that God is still in control and on His throne.