Friday, October 28, 2011

The Truth and Nothing But the Truth


Me in my Navy uniform - a LOOOONG time ago!!

In the Navy, we used the term "scuttlebut" for rumor or gossip.  Now I do NOT think anyone is gossipping about me, but it has come to my attention that there is some confusion as to what is happening with this shell the Lord has given me to care for.  I write this post in hopes that people will READ it.  If you know me, you know that I LOVE being the center of attention.  However, I would rather that the attention I receive be something fun and not due to false information flying around the cyber system on my behalf!

Here is the gauge (another Navy term) from the beginning:
December 2009 - Mastectomy for large invasive ductal carcinoma - ER/PR positive and HER2+++
January 2010- Began Adriamycin/Cytoxin chemo (all my hair fell out)
April 2010 - Finished AC chemo/ Began Taxotere/Herceptin treatments
July 2010 - Finished Taxotere (hair begins to grow!!!:)
September 2010 - Medical Furlough Began - Transferred care to Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Ueda's encouragement.
May 2011 - Finished Herceptin treatments
August 2011 - Dr. said that all tests show NO CANCER AT THIS TIME.  By November all the Herceptin will be out of my system and the 6 months from December-May, will be the crucial time for recurrence.  They will monitor me verly closely.
October 2011 - Chemo has caused bone and disc degeneration.  I am being treated for spine pain due to arthritic changes from all the drugs.  I also had spine surgery to cut off a bone spur and take out a disc that were pinching my spinal chord and causing pain, numbness, and balance problems.

Presently I have 2 appointments in November, tests in January, and 1 appointment in February. 

About how I am really doing!  If you see me you will say, "Wow!  You are looking great!"  Some days I am doing great and some days not so great.  Before the chemo I could push through anything, handle anything!  I just made myself do it.  I don't know if I've just turned into a wimp, but I have to take things much slower and plan my days and my energy wisely.  Please be patient with me.  If you are one of our supporting pastors or church members and you are reading this, please be patient with me.  It seems like everyone wants a quick answer and nobody more than me!  I am learning to wait on the Lord.  He is wise.  He wants my best.  He knows what is best.  I must wait.

When we first came back last year, my husband bought this beautiful wall hanging.  It says, "Be Still and Know That I Am God".  I have the "know" part down pretty good, but I must admit that the "be still" part is a much harder place to be in.  I ask that you would pray for me.  Pray for my strength and endurance to return.  If you have ANY questions about me, PLEASE feel free to contact me!


No comments: