Thursday, November 3, 2011

Friends - Old and new!

Today I want to praise the Lord for giving us friends.  I have some wonderful friends.  My best friend on earth is my husband.  I love him more everyday!  This last week it seemed that the Lord brought some friends from long ago back into my life!  Kim was one of my closest friends when we were stationed in Pensacola (early 80s).  When we were transferred to Maine, she even gave us lessons on how to eat a lobster.  Kim is a born and bred Mainer and someone I can pick right back up with after years of little or no communication!  Another friend that I hadn't heard from in a number of years emailed me this week and then called me.  What sweet joy it was to hear her voice on the other line and laugh together again.  I have missed her very much.  This morning I awoke to an email from Janet.  A friend I made on deputation and who has remained a faithful prayer warrior on my behalf.  We haven't seen each other since Randy's cancer when she took Christa and I to Christopher and Banks shopping, but she is my ever faithful friend. 

One of my newest friends is Sue!  She will tell you that she is the Lord's favorite, but I am convinced that I am His favorite!  Sue has a smile, a cheery word, and a giving heart.  I got to know Sue and her daughters this summer while we were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. If you met Sue, you would think she hasn't a care in the world.  She would tell you that she doesn't, because she is His favorite.  However, Sue's husband went to be with the Lord in 2004.  It was quite sudden and she was left a widow with two young girls to raise alone.  This hasn't stopped Sue from serving the Lord.  She stays busy in the church and has raised two beautiful, Godly daughters. 









WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

I love all of my earthly friends, but none of them can compare to Jesus!  He is with me even when no one else is around.  He always understands me and stands ready to help me with my burdens.  More importantly, He did the greatest thing a friend could ever do for a friend; He took my sins to the cross and suffered for me.  He gave His life that I might live!  Hallelujah what a Saviour I have!!  I love you, Jesus!!

No comments: