Monday, July 27, 2015

Blueberry Muffin

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.
Psalms 68:19



Oh boy, have I been having fun with all the fresh fruits and vegetables available at the farm stands around our house lately!  Fresh corn, green beans, berries, potatoes....I could go on and on!  All this fresh produce makes me want to get in my kitchen and create!!  The last two weeks I have concentrated my effort on blueberry muffins and after combining several recipes, cutting the sugar content, and making a couple of substitutions in the "more healthful" options; I have come up with our absolute favorite Blueberry Muffin!  Enjoy and feel free to let me know any changes that you made to the recipe to make it better or tastier for your family!

Blueberry Pickin'
 Oven Temperature: 375 degrees  Bake: 18 Minutes  Yield: 8 Muffins

I use muffin papers as I am very lazy and HATE cleaning out my muffin tins!  You don't have to use paper, just spray the muffin pans.  This recipe makes 18 medium muffins.  It helps with the calorie count, which is 92 calories a muffin.

Stir the sugar into the coconut oil until the sugar dissolves.  
1/2 cup Coconut Oil (I microwave 10 seconds to make sure it is liquid)
1/4 cup Sugar

Then add the rest of the liquid ingredients and set aside.
2 large Eggs - Room temperature.  If you are like me and you want to make this recipe spur of the moment, just put your eggs in a bowl and run tepid, NOT HOT, water over them while you get the dry ingredients together.
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice (fresh or concentrate)


Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle.
2 cups Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking SODA
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground Nutmeg
Zest from 1 Lemon

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.  Add:
1 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries or frozen that are a little thawed.

I use an ice cream scoop with a trigger to put the thick batter into the cups.

Last, but definitely not unimportant, the crumb topping:
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup White Sugar
2 tablespoons Flour
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Cardamom
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil

Sprinkle a little on the top of each muffin and bake.

In the next few days I will be sharing a recipe for scones!  YUMMO!!!!  Have a great week and don't forget as we travel this journey of life to "taste and see" all the wonderful things our great Creator provides for us to enjoy!


No comments: